Monday, July 15, 2013

Google Spreadsheet Results from Google Search Engine

Question:

( By Nate )

Is there a way for a spreadsheet, with a list of companies & addresses, to search Google, and enter the URL of the top result?

I've got the Business Name in Column A, the City of that business in Column C, and the State of that business in Column D.  When I do a Google search for those 3 fields, IF the business has a website, it'll USUALLY be the top result.  Is there a way to automate the process, and show the result in Column I.  

I've got 4K+ names to go through ... seems like there's got to be a short cut.

Thanks.



Solution:

Have a look at the following screenshot of my spreadsheet:



I have the following formula in Cell F1:

=substitute(index(ImportXML("https://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q="&substitute(A1;" ";"+")&"+"&substitute(C1;" ";"+")&"+"&substitute(D1;" ";"+")&"&pws=0";"//h3[@class='r']/a/@href");1);"/url?q=";"")


I hope the above solution will help you, and if you need more help then please do comment below on this blog itself, I will try to help you out.


I also take up private and confidential projects:
If this blog post was helpful to you, and if you think you want to help me too and make my this blog survive then please donate here: http://igoogledrive.blogspot.com/2012/09/donate.html 

Thanks,

No comments:

Post a Comment