Friday, October 5, 2012

Filtering data from one sheet to another

Question:

( by Frank Bernard )

I am trying to make a spreadsheet in Google spreadsheet and I have an idea I am trying to do, but have no idea how to do it. 

I have attached two screenshots to this question to give a better idea of what I am trying to ask.  So I want to take the RAW info in pic SS1 to different tables in SS2.  

So there is a row in SS1 that says gas with some info. Is there a way by just copying and pasting data to that RAW sheet where it would automatically take data and organize it in to the according table.  

So for example the gas row I would like that to go in to the table.  I would like everything to transfer over the way it is except the gas part.  Now I wonder if this is even possible.  

I am pretty good at creating spread sheets, but this would be way beyond anything I have ever tried, and I don't know if this is even possible.  

So I guess my question is, is it possible, and if so, how can it be done?  If it is not possible I would love to stop wasting my time on it and approach this a completely different way.  

Thanks in advance for any help.

Screenshot SS1.png:





Screenshot SS2.png:






Solution:


Put the following formula in Cell A51 of SS2 (that is "Monthly Expenses"):

=FILTER('RAW'!B:E;'RAW'!A:A="Gas")

And similarly we can put the filter formulas in all the tables of different categories.



I hope the above solution will help you, and if you need more help then please do comment below on this blog itself, I will try to help you out.

I also take up private or confidential projects:

If this blog post was helpful to you, and if you think you want to help me too and make my this blog survive then please donate here: http://igoogledrive.blogspot.com/2012/09/donate.html 

Thanks,
Kishan,


4 comments:

  1. i have 1 google sheet that contains raw data, I want to create another sheet that imports a data row from the 1st sheet depending on the value of a particular column range.(Filtering the data) What formula can I use for that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Frank. This just saved me hours of work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I searched and searched for this answer! Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete